Document Management used to be hard to do. Today, 50% of the problems have been eliminated within the SharePoint Server 2010 system. (the other 50% being problems with processes, implementation, customization, and training still remain)
The Scan Man believes that SharePoint Server 2010 addresses of the following issues handily and at a fair price.
- Where to store a document at each stage of its life cycle.
- How to control access to a document at each stage of its life cycle.
- How to move documents within the organization as team members contribute to the documents’ creation, review, approval, publication, and disposition.
- What policies to apply to documents so that document-related actions are audited, documents are retained or disposed of appropriately, and content that is important to the organization is protected.
- Whether a document has to be converted from one format to another as it moves through the stages of its life cycle.
- How to handle documents as corporate records, which must be retained according to legal requirements and corporate guidelines.